#61 A Summer Start (grades 1-8)
Regular price $18.95
Soft-bound, 88 page book, 51 classroom organizing and planning strategies for the self-contained classroom.
Summer days are the very best time for planning! Start with a file folder for each month, draw weekly columns, and presto, you've got a planning calendar, and a pocket for filing needed resources! Our workshop-in-a-book coaches you through all phases of planning and organizing. Checklists help you remember every detail. Your school year doesn't have to feel like a struggle just to stay one day ahead. Start your new year relaxed, confident, and enthusiastic. Note: check the "Master Teacher" tab on the left for special offers on Master Teacher sets.
More Information – click any of the tabs below to learn more about this title
TO GET PREPARED!
BEFORE The First Day:
- Define your behavior expectations.
- Put up bulletin boards.
- Complete parent letter and student profile.
- Organize and label supplies.
- Arrange desks.
- Prepare class list.
- Post class list outside of door.
- Write name on blackboard.
- Prepare opening talk.
- Know times and procedures for: fire drill * taking attendance * recess * library * taking lunch counts * lunchroom * playground * P.E. classes * health room * office telephone * resource rooms * remedial classes * other?
On the FIRST DAY:
- Welcome your students.
- Present our opening talk.
- Learn all names.
- Collect glue and scissors that students bring from home.
- Practice fire drill procedure.
- Teach your class signal.
- Make sure that ll desks and chairs fit properly.
- Teach your behavior expectations.
- Select students of the week.
- Send home parent letters with student profiles.
By the End of the FIRST WEEK
- Complete lesson plans for your second week.
- Assign each student a class number.
- Establish line order.
- Teach all remaining behavior expectations.
- Discuss special talents and assign special jobs.
- Review and file student profiles.
- Make a student directory.
- Record all birthdays.
- Make your seating chart.
- Practice fire drill procedure again.
- Finalize and distribute your class list.
- Develop an opening exercise.
- Evaluate classroom lighting and ventilation.
- Establish a procedure for turning in assignments.
By the End of the FIRST MONTH
- Hand out daily class schedule to students.
- Complete the substitute information form.
- Plan your parent-night presentation.
- Take time to reflect.