Complete Master List for #41 The Planets and Stars:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- 1/15/15: scissors
- * 1/8/8: rolls masking tape
- 1/2/8: meter sticks
- 1/1/1: wall clock with second hand (or wristwatches)
- * 1/1/1: package standard 1 inch straight pins
- 1/1/1: package extra long pins, about 1.5 inches (optional)
- 2/30/30: Post Grape Nuts cereal boxes, 32 ounce size, or equivalent
- 1/5/15: pennies
- * 1/5/5: rolls clear tape
- * 2/30/30: straight plastic straws
- * 1/1/1: box paper clips
- 1/3/8: paper punch tools
- * 1/1/1: spool of thread
- * 1/5/15: metal washers
- 1/5/15: pounds gravel, large rocks or bricks (optional)
- * 1/15/15: medium baby food jars with tight-fitting lids
- 1/5/15: graduated cylinders, 500 mL (optional)
- 1/1/1: roll paper towels (optional)
- 1/3/8: bottles white glue (optional)
- * 0.1/1/1: cup oil-based modeling clay
- * 1/1/1: bottle food coloring with dropper dispenser, blue is best
- 1/1/1: roll plastic wrap
- 1/30/30: flashlights filtered with red cellophane, or red LEDs for night vision
- * 1/5/15: hand lenses
- 1/1/1: stack of standard-sized newspaper, 3 feet high
- 1/5/15: each, yellow and black crayons or markers
- * 3/63/75: generic paper plates, 9-inch diameters with traditional rippled border
- 1/5/15: drawing compasses
- 1/1/1: shaker of black pepper
- 1/1/1: container of coarse sand with pebbles
- 1/15/15: tennis balls, new or used
- 1/1/1: roll heavy string
- * 1/2/2: package of clothespins (optional)
- 1/1/1: copy of The World Almanac and Book of Facts, or equivalent on-line reference
- 1/1/1: a current calendar with moon phases (optional)
- 1/1/1: ball of cotton
Solar Eclipse Viewing Glasses
CE Certified for solar viewing - use with book #40 The Earth Moon and Sun and #45 Pi in the Sky
Special offer for the 2012 solar eclipse on May 20th. Those west of the Mississippi should be able to view at least a partial solar eclipse. A small strip of land from Lubbock, TX to Medford, OR will be able to see a ring of fire! While supplies last, get yours today!
Baby Food Jars - assorted
Each set includes 4 small, 4 medium and 4 large glass jars.
Clay - modeling
Sold by the 100 gram stick, about 1/4 cup, in assorted colors (our choice). One stick serves a whole classroom for TOPS applications.
These are handy lab items to keep in stock. We use them as bulb holders, tongs, clips, and more.
Food Coloring - blue
liquid, dispensed in 1 fl. oz. squeeze bottle
A handy science supply used to make water more visible. Used in #39 Corn and Beans, #41 Planets and Stars, and several other TOPS modules.
Magnifier - hand lens
3X clear plastic hand lens
You'll find many uses for this basic tool of scientific inquiry. Very nice quality for the price. Supports #17 Light, #23 Rocks and Minerals, and #42 Focus Pocus. (One 3X hand lens is also included in each #100 Triple Magnifier Kit.)
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
9-inch diameter, generic white
A classic ripple edge-design, with wide application in TOPS experiments. Buy these here for convenience, or for less at your local grocery store.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Straws - straight
Any length straw, between 0.20 and 0.25 inches in diameter is suitable. Grocery stores generally carry straws with flexible "elbows." You can use those if you cut off the bendable section before using.
Tape - clear
3/4 inch x 1000 inch roll
Your standard desk tape with matte write-on surface.
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 60 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
light duty, 25 yd spool
Just plain old thread. Used in many TOPS titles, especially in Pendulums #34.
Washers - small
7/8 inch flat washer with 3/8 inch hole
Used in many TOPS labs. Item #1290 (medium tubing) used in #16 Pressure fits through these smaller washers.