Complete Master List for #21 Motion:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- 1/10/10: meter sticks
- 8/80/80: meters of string
- * 20/200/200: size #16 rubber bands
- 5/50/50: books to incline a meter stick (or any solid support)
- * 1/2/2: rolls masking tape
- 1/10/10: paper drinking cups
- 1/10/10: scissors
- 3/30/330: marbles
- 8/60/80: pennies
- 2/20/20: sheets lined notebook paper
- 1/10/10: small flat buttons
- 1/1/1: roll adding-machine tape
- 1/5/10: felt-tipped pens
- * 1/1/1: spool thread
- 1/1/1: wall clock with second hand (or wrist watches)
- 1/10/10: calculators
- 5/50/50: index cards, 4x6 inches or larger
- 1/1/1: bottle dishwashing liquid (or bar of soap)
- * 1/1/1: bottle food coloring
- 1/5/10: jar lids or crucibles
- 1/5/10: Ping-Pong balls
- * 0.5/5/5: cups of oil-based clay
- * 3/15/30: baby food jars
- 1/4/10: narrow-mouth bottles (or Erlenmeyer flasks)
- * 1/1/1: roll aluminum foil
- * 1/3/3: boxes paper clips, must have uniform size
- 1/1/1: corrugated cardboard box at least 30 cm high
- 1/2/5: hole punch
- * 1/10/10: spring scales with a 2 to 3 Newton capacity, about 250 grams
- 1/4/10: plastic gallon milk jugs with handle
- * 1/4/10: flat washers
- 1/4/10: protractors
- 1/10/10: manila file folders
- 1/5/10: plastic straws (or glass tubing with smooth, fire-polished ends works even better)
- 1/1/1: cotton ball (or feathers)
- * 1/20/30: clothespins
- * 1/10/10: balloons
- 1/10/10: flexible drinking straws
- * 1/10/10: straight pins
- 1/4/10: bath or beach towels
- 1/10/10: stopwatches
- 1/4/10: pillows (or coats)
regular strength, 20 square feet x 12 inches rolls
Buy aluminum foil here as a convenience item, or for less in many grocery stores.
Baby Food Jars - assorted
Each set includes 4 small, 4 medium and 4 large glass jars.
9 inch balloons, assorted colors
Some students may have latex allergy. Be sure to check before using.
Clay - modeling
Sold by the 100 gram stick, about 1/4 cup, in assorted colors (our choice). One stick serves a whole classroom for TOPS applications.
These are handy lab items to keep in stock. We use them as bulb holders, tongs, clips, and more.
Food Coloring - blue
liquid, dispensed in 1 fl. oz. squeeze bottle
A handy science supply used to make water more visible. Used in #39 Corn and Beans, #41 Planets and Stars, and several other TOPS modules.
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
Rubber Bands - assorted
10 grams each of thin, medium and thick
You get 30 grams of soft, strong, durable rubber bands: thin #16 (about 50), medium #32 (about 20), and heavy-duty #64 (about 10). These sizes are specifically selected to work in most TOPS experiments.
2.5 Newton, 250 gram capacity
A zero-adjustable scale that measures weight and force at different angles (from vertical to horizontal) to the nearest 5 grams. Spring scales with twice this capacity (500 g) gives you only half the precision (nearest 10 grams) and may lack the needed accuracy. Used in #21 Motion and #22 Machines.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 55 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
light duty, 25 yd spool
Just plain old thread. Used in many TOPS titles, especially in Pendulums #34.
Washers - small
7/8 inch flat washer with 3/8 inch hole
Used in many TOPS labs. Item #1290 (medium tubing) used in #16 Pressure fits through these smaller washers.