Complete Master List for #40 The Earth Moon and Sun:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- * 1/1/1: package of steel pins, 1 inch long
- * 1/1/1: spool of thread
- 1/15/15: scissors
- * 1/15/15: ceramic magnets
- * 1/35/35: small baby food jars or equivalent
- 1/1/1: water source (a pitcher of water)
- * 3/35/35: straight plastic drinking straws
- * 0.1/1/1: cups oil-based modeling clay
- 5/62/62: index cards, 4x6 inch
- * 1/10/15: rolls clear tape
- 1/1/1: roll double-stick clear tape, adhesive on both sides (optional)
- * 1/10/15: rolls masking tape
- 1/1/1: pencil sharpener
- * 3/75/75: generic paper plates
- * 1/30/30: medium-sized washers
- 1/8/15: textbooks
- 1/15/15: wristwatches
- 7/60/110: medium cans of equal diameter (or paper towel tubes or gift-wrap tubes)
- 0.5/7/7: quarts dry gravel or sand
- 3/3/3: full-sized newspaper sheets
- 1/8/15: meter sticks
- 1/8/15: hand calculators (optional)
- * 1/2/2: rolls adding machine tape
- 1/3/6: paper punch tools
- 1/5/15: U.S. nickels or equivalent-sized coin
- 1/15/15: orange crayons or marking pens
- 1/1/1: roll waxed paper
- * 2/30/30: thick rubber bands
- * 1/1/1: aluminum foil
- 1/1/1: roll kite string (or heavy thread or dental floss)
- 1/8/15: clipboards (or books)
- 2/30/30: tennis balls, new or used
- 2/10/30: batteries, dead or alive; size-D are best.
- 1/5/15: flashlights
- 1/15/15: Ping-Pong balls
- * 3/45/45: paper clips
- 1/1/1: roll black tape: electrical, vinyl or cloth
- 3/45/45: glass soda or beer bottles of equal height
- 1/5/15: cardboard milk cartons, quart or larger
- * 1/5/15: canning rings, regular size (optional)
- 1/1/1: calendars for this year and probably the next
Solar Eclipse Viewing Glasses
CE Certified for solar viewing - use with book #40 The Earth Moon and Sun and #45 Pi in the Sky
Special offer for the 2014 partial solar eclipse on October 23rd. Most of North America will be able to see a partial eclipse, which will be especially dramatic in the northern states and Canada. While supplies last, get yours today!
Please remember that looking at a solar eclipse without proper eye protection can be very dangerous. Only look directly at the sun with solar eclipse viewing glasses.
Adding Machine Tape
2-1/4 inch x 100 feet
Adding machine tape.
regular strength, 20 square feet x 12 inches rolls
Buy aluminum foil here as a convenience item, or for less in many grocery stores.
Baby Food Jars - assorted
Each set includes 4 small, 4 medium and 4 large glass jars.
Canning Rings with Lids
fit regular-mouth canning jars
These may be available only seasonally in some stores. Avoid wide-mouth size. Needed for #16 Pressure and #17 Light. Only rings (not lids) are used in #40 Earth, Moon & Sun, and #43 Focus Pocus.
Clay - modeling
Sold by the 100 gram stick, about 1/4 cup, in assorted colors (our choice). One stick serves a whole classroom for TOPS applications.
Magnet - ceramic
rectangle, 3/16 inch thick
Your basic refrigerator magnet, about the width and length of a large postage stamp, with N and S poles on each face and a hole in the middle. A useful and popular science supply used in may TOPS titles. Purchase at least 2 per student.
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
9-inch diameter, generic white
A classic ripple edge-design, with wide application in TOPS experiments. Buy these here for convenience, or for less at your local grocery store.
Rubber Bands - assorted
10 grams each of thin, medium and thick
You get 30 grams of soft, strong, durable rubber bands: thin #16 (about 50), medium #32 (about 20), and heavy-duty #64 (about 10). These sizes are specifically selected to work in most TOPS experiments.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Straws - straight
Any length straw, between 0.20 and 0.25 inches in diameter is suitable. Grocery stores generally carry straws with flexible "elbows." You can use those if you cut off the bendable section before using.
Tape - clear
3/4 inch x 1000 inch roll
Your standard desk tape with matte write-on surface.
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 55 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
light duty, 25 yd spool
Just plain old thread. Used in many TOPS titles, especially in Pendulums #34.
Washers - small
7/8 inch flat washer with 3/8 inch hole
Used in many TOPS labs. Item #1290 (medium tubing) used in #16 Pressure fits through these smaller washers.